Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Kiss

Matthew 26:48-49 Now the betrayer had arranged a signal with them: "The one I kiss is the man; arrest him." 49Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, "Greetings, Rabbi!" and kissed him.

Much has been said about the kiss of betrayal. How ironic...how cruel...why a kiss...the list could go on. I don't know why Judas decided to point a finger at Jesus with a kiss but I do know that similar greetings are found in scripture. In four separate texts Paul tells people to "Greet one another with a Holy Kiss" and once he gives the same direction but calls it a "kiss of love".

Now I have heard the explanation that people always greeted one another with a kiss in those times. I don't buy it though. If it was always done, why would Paul have to tell them to do it? I don't know for sure and I won't claim that my opinion is even correct but what if...? What if the whole idea of the kiss isn't the usual social norm alone but is also about something redemptive?

The kiss, a hug and even human sexuality were all God's ideas...God's creations. Since every creation of God is mimicked by Satan with a fake version it is safe to say that human sexuality has been hijacked by evil. Human affection has been stolen and redefined and equally, the kiss was robbed of purity through betrayal. Much in the same way an extramarital affair destroys trust and confidence in one another, the kiss was an act of destruction used by Judas.

Is it remotely possible that God is concerned with redemptive work in our lives down to the detail of a kiss or a hug? Is is possible that Jesus, as a new Adam, did indeed come to restore everything lost in the fall of man and as such, God refuses to leave the adulterated aspects of his creation in darkness? I believe with great confidence that scripture points to that very plan and mission of God.

I could offer a guess as to the areas in which we all need to have redemption work performed. However, I think it is best to seek the Father individually and see which areas God is attempting to reclaim, rework, redefine and ultimately redeem in our lives. May God's redemptive hand be gentle yet thorough.

No comments: