Monday, September 15, 2008

A Woman's Body? What?

I continue to hear from people in and near my circle about the upcoming election and the reasons to vote or not vote for a candidate. While the issue of abortion has been brought up in this campaign like it has in most recent campaigns, this post is not really about politics...but it is about abortion.

I continue to hear the arguments against making abortions illegal and it seems the most common one is that the government doesn't have a right to tell a woman what she can do with her body. That's sounds really nice but I would beg to differ. I think the law has a lot to say about what a woman...or man for that matter...does with her body.

If I were a prostitute, and I am not, I would use the same argument. Who does the government think they are? I mean if 2 consenting adults want to have sex and exchange some money, why do they care?
And what about drug use...If I were a drug addict, and I am not, I would argue that the government is being unfair and overbearing in their treatment of me. If I want to use a drug that may cause harm to my body I have the right to do so without governmental interference, no?
And what about laws that imprison those who MAY be a threat to themselves? You don't even have to harm yourself...just potential threat is enough to be locked up against your will. So if I were into self-mutilation, and I am not, I would argue that it is my constitutional right to be able to do with my body anything I wish...because this same argument works for abortion rights.
In fact, I think that abortion would be more closely associated with someone being a threat to themselves and others. We can call it a choice, a right or whatever we want but at the end of the day what is being destroyed is a human that is forming and growing. If I called the authorities (government) and said that I was thinking of harming myself and my infant I would promptly be arrested and detained until a time that a professional deemed my to be sane and competent. Yet, if a woman calls the authorities and says that she wants to have an abortion they don't bat an eye...that's weird to me since "abortion" is code for "I want to have this human living inside of my body murdered and removed".

Anyway, I know that few topics are more controversial than abortion but since I am not one to shy away from controversy I had no problem dealing with it today.

I will finish with a reminder to those who claim and intend to follow Jesus, me included. Whether you are a man or a woman you are not your own. You have been bought at a price.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

what is a human?

Blake said...

Domain: Eukaryota

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Mammalia

Order: Primates

Family: Hominidae

Genus: Homo

Species: H. sapiens

Subspecies: H. s. sapiens


Why do you ask?

Anonymous said...

just something Phyllis Tickle said. She said we do not know what it means to be human.

Blake said...

I hope Phyllis can figure it out. I heard from Ken that she is an impressive lady.

So do you really buy what Phyllis is pitching? Surely you know what it is to be human, right? I mean, walking around on the planet for better than 2 decades, attending college, some grad work, dating, working a full time job, paying bills, having struggle...you know what it is to be human, right?

Anonymous said...

Hey Blake,
I read this a while back and thought you had some really great points here... an argument for LIFE that I never really had considered. I forgot to leave a comment when I read it, though. Anyway, really good stuff here...
On a different note, I wonder how many times you use the word 'moron' in some of the other blogs... one of Scott's favorite words, too....
Take care,
Lindsay

Blake said...

Lindsay,
Thanks for dropping by for a read. I hope all is well with you dad and with your more immediate family.
It seems that the same people who refuse to outlaw the murder of a baby typically rally against capital punishment. The irony would be funny if it were not so tragic.
Take Care