Monday, May 26, 2008

HODO...My Hero

Happy Memorial Day to you all.

In the spirit of Memorial Day I continue to think of the families who have lost their sons, fathers, cousins, etc. My heart aches for them and I can't express my sadness and appreciation enough. I also think of and pray for the families and the soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen who are away from home serving this country and people in far away places. Having had the honor to walk and serve among you all in the past, I salute you and honor you for your sacrifices and for the sacrifices your families continue to make. God Bless You All.

Today I am thinking a lot about my buddy Howard...more affectionately known to many as "Hodo". Howard is in Kuwait serving as a commander in the Navy. Howard is quite an amazing man. In fact, if I can borrow Gordon Dalbey's definition of a man, I can with great certainty say that Howard is "a real man because he is a man that is real"

Howard is honest, humble and courageous enough to avoid being pigeon-holed in preconceived expectations, and labels. He thinks for himself and his genuine character and integrity are revealed in each thing he does. He is selfless, thoughtful and generous beyond measure. He isn't afraid to show appropriate emotions even when doing so creates uncomfortable feelings for himself or others.

The best thing I can say about Howard...or anyone for that matter...is that he is one "who follows hard after God". He seeks God passionately and is driven by his desire for righteousness. He is a man of prayer and conviction. He has a deep desire to display the love, mercy and goodness of God to his wife and children and he allows the light of the Creator to shine on all of us who know him.

For all of the above and so much more, today I salute Howard. Here's an Irish Blessing for you my friend, my brother and a hero of faith. (I know Dodson is an English surname but I don't like any "English Blessings" so today you get an Irish Blessing)

May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
And rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

Come home soon dear Brother! We all love and miss you.

1 comment:

TnknOutLoud said...

I don't recognize the HoDo that you described. The one I know is judgemental, moody, and aloof! But I do appreciate the kind words for whoever that was that you were describing! I wouldn't mind meeting the other guy, he sounds like a good guy to know.
HoDo