Tuesday, August 12, 2008

"God Will Spank You!"

I love it when my boys think I am the world's strongest man, the world's smartest human or someone that can fix anything they break. I guess having a celebrity status is one of the really amazing parts of being a Dad. Truthfully, I would love being a Dad without that part but getting the "Rock Star Welcome" each afternoon when I get home from work is awesome.

As much as I want my boys to think I am the greatest Dad or somewhere on par with Superman, I really want them to know that God is greater. When I fail as a dad, I want them to know that they have a Father who doesn't fail. When I drop the ball I want them to remember that they were created by a God who never sleeps and has never once dropped the ball.

This past weekend I realized that some of my pointing toward God as being way better than I could ever be and some of my assuring the boys that as much as I love them...God loves them so much more has started to sink in. As we were walking into a place for lunch on Sunday I reminded the boys what kind of behavior and manners I expected from them. We were all in a jovial mood and I remarked in jest to Zion (my 3 year old) that if he acted up I would have to find something to beat him with. He seemed shocked at first and then he was almost instantly comforted...like he had an Ace up his sleeve or some trump card that I didn't have. He replied quickly and with great confidence..."God will spank you".

I smiled...ok, it was more like beaming. My boy is "getting it". Even my baby understands something That I too often forget. To quote a kids song, "My God is so great, so strong and so mighty there's nothing my God cannot do". Zion adores me...and tells me so repeatedly each day. But Zion knows that there is One that I answer to, there is One that has his back when no one else does and there is One that allows a 35lb little boy to stand up to the perceived threat of a 205lb bully...Zion adores me, but Zion adores God even more. God is in 1st place in Zion's eyes and I don't ever mind coming in second place to God. May I continue to live a life that shows my boys that they aren't the only ones in the house who put God first.

No comments: